General Dynamics is committed to reducing our global environmental impact
- operates our facilities in compliance with all applicable environmental laws and regulations, and in a way that is protective of the health and safety of our employees, surrounding communities and the environment;
- strives to be a leader in improving environmental quality, by minimizing waste and emissions, reusing and recycling, reducing the use of natural resources and promoting pollution prevention efforts throughout the company;
- reviews our facilities and programs on a regular basis and establishes goals for continuous improvement in the environmental arena;
- integrates environmental considerations into business planning and decisions, including in design, procurement, production, facilities management and product support;
- promotes a workplace in which all employees are properly trained to comply with applicable environmental laws and regulations, to meet environmental program goals and to take personal responsibility for protecting the environment;
- works with our customers to meet their environmental needs and goals consistent with the company’s environmental compliance and management programs; and
- incorporates a management system for environmental matters at each business unit that is compliant with the most current edition of ISO 14001.
Each of our businesses has professionally-run Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs to ensure our facilities operate safely and comply with company programs and practices to prevent any environmental impacts. Each business develops annual goals to drive continuous improvement in EHS performance. We have an active Environmental, Health & Safety committee which includes experts from each General Dynamics business unit. This group works together to promote best practices and shared strategies throughout the company and serves as a resource in promoting a safety- and environmentally aware culture.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
As a company, we are committed to continuous improvement which includes creating efficiencies and building systems that reduce our emissions output. The nature of our business, with multi-year, large-scale manufacturing contracts, and our organizational structure make it challenging to set company-wide global emissions reduction goals. As such, each business unit determines its energy efficiency programs to meet its energy objectives and remain aligned with energy priorities of our customers. Across the business, we are collecting high-quality data, using a third-party firm.